Monday, November 21, 2011

How it all went down...

I want to document all of this so I can remember how the boys arrived :)

So, here's how it all went down:

On Monday, October 24th we went to a follow up OB appointment because my blood pressure had been high.  When the nurses checked my blood pressure that day it was still high and there was protein in my urine.  My doctor, Dr. Heine (yes, pronounced Hiney - and, get this, his name is Phil.  "Feel Hiney" - he's the absolute best OB ever!), sent me over to the hospital to get monitored for 24-48 hrs just to make sure I wasn't developing preeclampsia.  He told me that he was confident that I would get sent home.  That he almost wasn't going to send me over there but hated to risk it.

I didn't quite start to panic.  Especially since we had already been to the hospital two other times to stop labor.  I was upset for sure.  I was only 32 weeks and 3 days.  I did not want to deliver my babies.  But, I honestly didn't even think that would actually happen.  I figured they'd look me over for a few hours, we'd miss the World Series game, and we'd head back home with a tired husband who was upset he missed the game and an irritable me, sick of being a pin cushion for the nurses.

Once we got over there and they had me hooked up to everything, we realized I was actually already in labor.  I hadn't been feeling an increase in the contractions I'd been having since 25 weeks pregnant.  But I actually was having contractions, real contractions, every two minutes.  My blood pressure was continuing to rise and the doctors were trying to decide whether to stop labor or allow me to continue.  It's was a balance between the risks of keeping the boys in and my blood pressure rising versus delivering them and the risks associated with preemies.

After keeping check for a while, they realized that I was developing severe preeclampsia (my blood pressure at one point was 149/117) and decided to let me continue laboring.  They actually told me that even if I hadn't had a doctor's appointment that afternoon, I would have probably come to the hospital at some point during the night because I was in labor.  We called our parents and told them that I was going to have the babies but to hold off on coming because it could be hours before they actually got here - I know how it typically goes with first babies and I figured I'd be laboring for awhile.  Jordan and I also decided we better start figuring out the boys names at this point (I'll do a separate post on their names)- because they really were coming and we didn't know what their names were going to be!

And, finally, I had a small breakdown.  Where I realized we were talking about 32 week babies.  And NICU stays.  And a big change of plans from what I had anticipated.  But then I pulled it back together and we moved forward.  What else could we do?

(part two tomorrow.)


  1. I know the ending and I am STILL sitting on the edge of my seat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  2. Wow. You are inspiring! Can't wait to read part two and about how they got their names. What blessings from the Lord!

    Much love,